This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: Kor Group’s latest acquisition; new independent boutiques in Indianapolis and College Park, Maryland; and the latest hotel openings.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
Kor Group acquires LA’s Custom Hotel
The Kor Group acquired the Custom Hotel in Los Angeles in a joint venture with the Merchant Banking Division of Goldman, Sachs & Co., which is also lead capital partner on two other Kor Group hotel projects under construction—the Austin Proper Hotel & Residences and Santa Monica Proper Hotel, both set for 2019 openings.
The 250-room Custom Hotel is located near Los Angeles International Airport and will be managed by Proper Hospitality. The Custom Hotel’s building was constructed in 1968 and was designed by architect Welton Beckett. The hotel will have 7,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting space, and a two-level pool deck, restaurant and bar.
New Indy indie from Hendricks Commercial Properties
Beloit, Wisconsin-based Hendricks Commercial Properties developed the five-story, 120-room Ironworks Hotel Indy in Indianapolis, which opened 12 September and is managed by Hendricks subsidiary Geronimo Hospitality Group. The hotel is part of a mixed-use development including retail space, restaurants and apartments. The hotel component will include 3,000 square feet of meeting space and a rooftop terrace. This is the second Ironworks-branded boutique hotel from Hendricks and Geronimo, who also own and operate the Ironworks Hotel in Beloit. The Indianapolis property will share the same industrial-chic design of the original property, which took its design cues from a nearby iron foundry.
U of Maryland welcomes independent boutique
College Park, Maryland, is getting its first new, full-service hotel in decades with the opening later this month of the Hotel at The University of Maryland. Southern Management Corporation developed the $115-million new-build hotel on the east side of the university campus. The 295-room property will have 43,000 square feet of meeting space, including a rooftop banquet facility, five restaurants and a Red Door by Elizabeth Arden spa.
Openings, management, people on the move
- Hotel Theodore will open 1 November in downtown Seattle. The 153-room hotel is managed by Provenance Hotels.
- Made Hotel opened in New York City’s NoMad neighborhood. The 108-room hotel was developed by Sam Gelin.
- Honolulu-based Aqua-Aston Hospitality took on the management of Crocodile Bay Resort and the under-development Botánika Osa Peninsula, Curio Collection by Hilton, both in Costa Rica.
- Benchmark named Jason Jonilonis director of food and beverage for Stonewall Resort in Roanoke, West Virginia.
- The Resort at Pelican Hill in Newport Beach, California, named Robert Marusi as director of sales and marketing.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.