This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: the opening of New York’s famed Adelphi Hotel; a new boutique coming to Phoenix; and people on the move.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
The Adelphi Hotel back in Saratoga Springs
Following an extensive five-year renovation, The Adelphi Hotel in Saratoga Springs, New York, re-opened on 1 October. Adelphi Hospitality Group collaborated with New York-based architecture and design firm Glen & Company to reimagine the hotel’s interiors, and Dominick Ranieri Architect P.C. was the leading architect for the hotel’s structural transformation and restoration.
Originally opened in 1877, The Adelphi has been a cultural icon of upstate New York. Now the hotel has 32 guestrooms, a 2,300-square-foot grand ballroom opening to the gardens and several restaurant and bar spaces.
“The Adelphi Hotel dates back to Saratoga Springs’ Victorian age when the town was known as America’s playground for the rich and famous, and we are grateful to be part of such a culturally vibrant community,” said Adelphi Hospitality Group Managing Partner Simon Milde in a news release.
New boutique Arrival in Phoenix
Vintage Partners is developing a 79-room boutique hotel in central Phoenix, renovated from two vacant midcentury high-rise buildings. Phoenix’s ABC-15 reports the $20-million redevelopment will include a poolside taco bar, rooftop bar, coffee shop and ice cream shop, and is slated for a 2018 opening.
The news outlet also reports the hotel will carry the Arrive name, a small brand originating in Palm Springs, California. A second Arrive is under construction in Austin, Texas, and this would be the third.
NC State University welcomes StateView Hotel
Noble Investment Group opened the StateView Hotel on North Carolina State University’s Centennial Campus. The LEED Silver-certified hotel has 164 guestrooms, a full-service restaurant and more than 10,000 square-feet of meeting space.
“Conceived in tandem with the senior leadership at North Carolina State University, the StateView was intentionally designed to service the needs of major companies, research entities, students and faculty that call the Centennial Campus and its surrounding communities home,” said Noble chief executive officer, Mit Shah, in a news release.
The hotel opened as part of Marriott International’s Autograph Collection.
Airbnb hotel-homeshare hybrid planned for Florida
Airbnb and Miami-based development company Newgard Development Group are building a 324-unit building in Kissimmee, Florida, designed to be the first Airbnb home-hotel hybrid. Tenants of the building, called Niido, powered by Airbnb, will be able to rent their units on Airbnb for up to 180 days of the year, according to a report in TechCrunch.
The building will have some hotel-style, on-demand services like housekeeping, and Airbnb guests will be able to access a “MasterHost” via an app if they need more help.
Bloomberg reports Airbnb will not be an owner of the building, and that Newgard “will take a piece of profits generated from Airbnb rentals” and that it plans future similar developments in the Southeastern United States.
Openings, management, people on the move
- Terranea Resort, A Destination Hotel, completed a $40-million renovation that includes upgrades to guestrooms, an additional resort pool, a new poolside eatery and complete renovation of the resort’s casual dining restaurant, Catalina Kitchen.
- The Graham Georgetown, in Washington, D.C., will join Hilton’s Tapestry Collection in early 2018.
- The Dazzler Brooklyn has been renamed The Tillary and is managed by JAM 26 Hotels.
- Hilton’s Curio Collection added three properties: Martinique New York on Broadway, The Charter Seattle and The Cincinnatian Hotel in Ohio. All three will officially join the collection in 2018.
- The Blackburn Inn in Staunton, Virginia, will open in spring 2018. The building, originally constructed in 1828, is owned by Robin Miller of The Blackburn Inn and operated by Retro Hospitality.
- Charlie Lopez-Quintana was named GM of the Hotel Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica, California.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.