This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: acquisitions in Massachusetts and Georgia; the latest renovations; and people on the move.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
Upland Capital acquires Martha’s Vineyard hotel
Boston-based Upland Capital Corporation acquired the 127-year-old Harbor View Hotel on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, for an undisclosed amount. The new owners have plans to renovate the Harbor View starting in late fall 2018. Scout Hotel & Resort Management will operate the hotel.
“Upland Capital is committed to protecting Harbor View’s well-cultivated legacy. We will retain all the attributes that make the hotel – and Edgartown – so special, while elevating its reputation among the premier hotels in the Northeast U.S.,” said Upland founder Bernard Chiu.
New owner for North Georgia winery-resort
Château Élan Winery & Resort in Braselton, Georgia, has been acquired by an affiliate of Greenwich, Connecticut,-based Wheelock Street Capital, and has a new management team in HEI Hotels & Resorts. Wheelock is planning a $20-million comprehensive renovation for the property’s 394 guestrooms, public spaces, spa, winery and golf clubhouse.
Michigan boutique hotel a labor of love
The Heritage Place Hotel in downtown St. Johns, Michigan, opened as a labor of love for owners Ken Harris and Chris Buehrly-Harris, who bought the vacant, historic building in 2015. According to the Lansing State Journal, the Harrises renovated the building into a 24-room boutique hotel.
Openings, management, people on the move
- John Remmers was named area GM for Two Roads Hospitality in San Francisco, where he will serve as GM of Hotel Vitale and The Marker, two Joie de Vivre properties in San Francisco. He most recently served as GM of Hotel Nia.
- Aparium Hotel Group named Brian Fahey GM of Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee.
- The Scott in Scottsdale, Arizona’s, Old Town neighborhood, named Stephen Johnson as GM. The 204-room hotel is owned and operated by Classic Hotels & Resorts.
- Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, Arizona, named Terry Hanley as GM.
- The Warwick Denver completed a comprehensive renovation of all 216 guestrooms and suites.
- The Adelphi Hotel in Saratoga Springs, New York, had a grand re-opening in fall 2017 following a large-scale renovation of its meeting space, restaurant and guestrooms.
- Minneapolis-based Elevage Development Group and Portland-based Provenance Hotels will open Lora, a new hotel in Stillwater, Minnesota, in late 2018. The 40-room hotel will be the first Midwest location for Provenance.
- The Wallhouse Hotel in Walnut Creek, Ohio, joined the Ascend Hotel Collection by Choice Hotels International.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.