HENDERSONVILLE, Tennessee—The Canadian hotel industry posted decreases in all three key performance measurements during the week of 21-27 June, according to data from STR.
In year-over-year measurements, the industry’s occupancy fell 11.2 percent to end the week at 65.8 percent. Average daily rate dropped 9.5 percent to finish the week at CAD$128.25. Revenue per available room for the week decreased 19.7 percent to finish at CAD$84.42.
The provinces reported mixed year-over-year results in all three key metrics. Highlights from the week include:
• Newfoundland was the only provience to report an occupancy increase, rising 4.9 percent to 90.7 percent.
• Prince Edward Island (-18.7 percent to 56.1 percent) and Alberta (-17.5 percent to 64.8 percent) experienced the largest occupancy decreases.
• Three provinces reported ADR increases: Saskatchewan (+7.8 percent to CAD$118.20); Manitoba (+2.6 percent to CAD$107.01); and New Brunswick (+1.6 percent to CAD$120.27).
• Provinces to report double-digit ADR decreases include: Alberta (-15.4 percent to CAD$135.26); British Columbia (-11.4 percent to CAD$142.83); and Ontario (-10.1 percent to CAD$120.47).
• Newfoundland (+3.1 percent to CAD$126.83) and Saskatchewan (+2.4 percent to CAD$89.72) were the only provinces to experience RevPAR increases for the week.
• Three provinces reported RevPAR decreases of 20 percent or more: Alberta (-30.1 percent to CAD$87.71); British Columbia (-24.0 percent to CAD$100.04); and Ontario (-20.0 percent to CAD$77.88).
About STR & STR Global:
For more than 20 years, Smith Travel Research has been the recognized leader for lodging industry benchmarking and research. Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 37,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide. STR is headquartered in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and STR Global is based in London. For more information, visit www.strglobal.com or www.HotelNewsNow.com.
Director of Communications/Editorial Director, Digital Media
+1 (615) 824-8664 ext. 3318
+1 (615) 824-8664 ext. 3305