From the desks of the Hotel News Now editorial staff:
- Pebblebrook urges shareholders to vote down LaSalle-Blackstone deal
- Hoteliers seek clarity on complicated Brexit
- Revenue leaders must know how to tell a story with data
- Preliminary June data for US hotels
- Paris tourists warned about hotel thieves
Pebblebrook urges shareholders to vote down LaSalle-Blackstone deal: The LaSalle Hotel Properties Board of Trustees has agreed to sell their company to BRE Landmark L.P., an affiliate of The Blackstone Group, for $33.50 per share , but Pebblebrook Hotel Trust is urging shareholders of LaSalle to vote against that deal. To that end, Pebblebrook officials recently filed a preliminary proxy statement with the United States Securities Exchange Commission, according to a news release from Pebblebrook.
“The Board of Pebblebrook continues to believe that its offer is substantially superior to LaSalle’s merger agreement with Blackstone and represents the greatest value-maximizing opportunity for the shareholders of both LaSalle and Pebblebrook,” Jon Bortz, chairman, president and CEO of Pebblebrook Hotel Trust, said in the release. “The shareholders of LaSalle wholeheartedly agree with us as LaSalle’s shares continue to trade at prices well above Blackstone’s take-under price of $33.50.”
Hoteliers seek clarity on complicated Brexit: Brexit continues to dominate conversation at hotel and hospitality conferences, and speakers at the UKHospitality’s summer conference Monday stressed that they want to know what’s going on with Brexit, HNN’s Terence Baker reports.
Peter Gowers, CEO of Travelodge U.K., said the industry needs to find ways to place itself at the center of conversations around Brexit.
“We have to magnify our importance—not just hotels, but pubs and restaurants, too. ... We have to push the government ever harder,” he said.
Brexit negotiator David Davis and Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson left Prime Minister Theresa May’s cabinet on Monday after not agreeing with May’s approach to Britain’s exit from the E.U.
The Wall Street Journal reports that the resignations “plunged (May’s) government and party into a political crisis that threatens to change the country’s course toward leaving the European Union.”
Britain is supposed to leave the E.U. in less than nine months.
Revenue leaders must know how to tell a story with data: Since the hotel industry has more data to analyze and synthesize than it ever has, revenue experts have to know what the data is telling them and how to translate that to stakeholders, HNN’s Sean McCracken reports.
During a roundtable at HSMAI’s recent Revenue Optimization Conference, Tim Wiersma, VP of revenue management at Red Roof, said new forms of data exist, but that data needs to be shared in a way that is useful for everyone on-property.
“The more concisely we can interpret that information, the more proactive and effective our strategy will be,” he said. “That’s what we’re working towards. We’re refining that funnel of information to make decisions in the future.”
Preliminary June data for U.S. hotels: Preliminary data for the U.S. lodging industry in June 2018 shows the industry reported growth in the three key performance indicators, according to data from STR, parent company of HNN.
Occupancy increased 0% to 2% for the total industry, average daily rate rose 2% to 4% and revenue per available room increased 3% to 5%.
Paris tourists warned about hotel thieves: A large number of travelers are expected to visit Paris in the next few weeks during the city’s summer high season, and tourists are being warned of thieves who prey on visitors, especially those staying at hotels, The Local reports.
Thieves pose as tourists and target guests at their hotels. They’ve been named “‘hotel rats’ because of the way they sneak and scurry around in the background often unnoticed, but they are known to target some of the capital's poshest hotels,” the news outlet reports.
Tony Mariet, the commissioner of the capital's anti-scam BRB (Brigade de répression du banditisme) police unit, told the news outlet that “some of them mingle with groups of tourists and leave with their luggage and others book rooms in hotels under false names and tour the rooms looking for safes. We are dealing with international professional criminals.”
Compiled by Danielle Hess.